Each year just before Christmas St Columba’s holds a Carol service. It is one of the loveliest churches that comes in to it’s own at Christmas. Lit only by the side lights and candles during the service, there is a real sense of the history and a feeling that you are following in the footsteps of generations.
St Columba's Church Poltalloch near Kilmartin is situated in the gentle parkland of ruined Poltalloch House. St Columba's was conceived as a private Chapel but built as a church with congregation and incumbent. Built 1852 to a design by William Cundy of London in Early English style with leafy carvings and pointed arches, there is a complete set of stained glass by William Wailes.
The antique nativity scene
Winnie Campbell played the organ
The Reverend Michael Kitchener presided over proceedings
Candles and holly decorate the windows
Mince pies and mulled wine after the service
Alex in the pulpit taking our pictures!
Coming away, the sun is almost gone and the lights in the windows glow.